New diagnostic and therapeutic tools against multidrug resistant tumors
Start of Action – 11/09/2018; End of Action – 10/09/2022
This Action will build the first multidisciplinary network, including academic laboratories, research institutes, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), with a wide range of excellent and non overlapping expertise, aiming at improving at the same time the diagnosis and therapy of multidrug resistant (MDR) solid tumors.
Until now, there is only fragmented knowledge on biomarkers and therapeutic tools used against MDR tumors; there are not algorithms predictive/diagnostic of MDR tumors ex-ante; all the past therapies against MDR tumors failed. The key challenge of this Action is to fill these gaps, by producing a comprehensive, open and user-friendly platform of knowledge on MDR tumors, identifying new diagnostic/predictive biomarkers, producing new and safe compounds applicable to personalized treatments of MDR tumors.
Up to 70% of solid tumors are resistant at the diagnosis: this means poor life quality and poor prognosis for patients, high management costs for the European healthcare systems. This Action is working to improve diagnosis and treatment of patients with MDR tumors and to reduce the costs for their management.
Second, by creating fruitful collaborations between basic and industrial research, we will give impulse to the creation of new Start-up and SMEs in Europe.
Finally, the Action aims at raising the level of European research on MDR, reducing the disparity in the research quality between EU countries and ITC, providing the necessary training for European Early Career Investigator (ECI) to grow as future independent research leaders, regardless of location, age or gender.
Action Leadership Positions
- Action Chair: Prof Chiara RIGANTI
- Action Vice Chair: Dr Javier DE LAS RIVAS
- WG 1 – New biomarkers predictive/diagnostic of MDR phenotypes; new therapeutic targets in MDR tumours: Mr Thomas MOHR
- WG 2 – New therapeutic tools in MDR tumours; nanodelivery of new therapeutic tools: Prof Catherine PASSIRANI
- WG 3 – Efficacy of new therapeutic tools in MDR tumours: Prof M. Helena VASCONCELOS
- WG 9 – Pharmacokinetic and ADME/toxicology of new therapeutic tools; safety of therapeutic targets: Dr Simona SAPONARA
- Grant Holder Scientific Representative: Prof Chiara RIGANTI
- Science Communication Manager: Prof Jose M. PADRON
- STSM Coordinator: Dr Milica PESIC
Action webpages: http://stratagem.webnuvola.com/, https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA17104/